Parish of Sorbie, Wigtownshire
Coming into Sorbie Village on the Garlieston Road (B7052)
Looking from the other direction,
Sorbie in the early 1900's
is a small rural village 14 miles south of Newton Stewart on the Galloway coast
in South West Scotland. The area is known as the 'Machars Peninsula' and is largely
unchanged over the last century. The village offers basic amenities including
Post Office / Store, Public House ('The Pheasant') , School and Hall. Wigtown, the
former county town and now known as "Scotland's Book Town" is some 6
miles north of the village, where a larger selection of shops etc. are available.
Parish of 'Sorby' in 1832 - Note 'Sorbie Place' (Sorbie Tower) to the N.E. of the
3 Sorbie descendants; Hugh, Pip and Avril
are happy to visit their roots..!!
The War Memorial in Sorbie Village.